Thursday, July 16, 2009

california is awesome


While in Kauai I had a moment, just a moment, of homesickness. In that short moment I realized how lucky I am to have spent my entire life in California. Even better, my kids are going to grow up in California too and it's my job to make them appreciate every day of it. True, I've had those thoughts, while on trips in other places, considering moving to other states, but California's bright sun and mild winters are my comfort zone.

Every year I promise to my girls that we will head to the beach as much as possible during their summer break. Then, we find ourselves running to and fro soccer practices, pool parties, movie theatres and never step on the sand quite as much as intended. This has been the year for us. I've taken every possible opportunity to make the drive to different beaches along Southern California, discovering new places that I've never been to. It has become an obsession for me. I will sink my toes in the sand of every beach along my part of California at some point in my life. I will know California and embrace my home state.

Summer of 2009 hasn't been a productive one for me, in terms of creating. My sewing machine is only getting use on occasion, but my skin is a golden tan and my hair is lighter. My boogie boards still have sand on them and I've been researching different surf classes for my girls and I.

Enjoy Summer. Find local parks to walk in and plan camping trips. Become a tourist in your city. Pick up pamphlets and see your state through the eyes of someone else. Teach your children about their local lakes and beaches. Love your home.

1 comment:

Mushyhed said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your summer. It's definitely my favorite season. Yay to surf lessons. You'll have to let me know how it goes.